The Astronomical Society of the Pacific (ASP) in San Francisco, California is hiring a full-time Astronomy Educator to join a team of National Science Foundation funded partners researching a professional development and community building program for educators at "small" science museums and nature centers.
* Lead the development and production of a suite of hands-on activities and "toolkits" tailored to the needs of museum and nature center educators (includes formative testing sessions).
* Assist with the development of training protocols and agendas and help train participants at onsite workshops nationally (some travel required).
* Assist with the adaptation of activities for "distance learning" and online training protocols.
* Moderate distance learning and online workshop sessions and discussions.
* Assist project evaluators with formative and summative data collection as required.
* Assist with recruitment of workshop participants.
* Attend weekly ASP team meetings and take part in monthly project team teleconferences.
* Other duties as required.
* Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in the sciences (astronomy preferred) AND three years in informal education and outreach; OR a Bachelor's degree in the sciences, three years demonstrated work in informal education/outreach, and strong content knowledge in astronomy.
* Experience developing and/or adapting hands-on astronomy activities.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, public speaking abilities, and an enthusiastic/positive personality.
* Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
* Solid computer skills (including Word, Excel, e-mail, World Wide Web).
* Ability to multi-task and be creative (i.e., think "out of the box" when necessary).
* Comfortable working under more than one supervisor and open to diverse job assignments.
* Strong command of written and spoken English.
* Two years work experience at a science museum, science center, natural history museum, nature center, or equivalent delivering educational programming.
* Strong knowledge of inquiry-based learning.
* Experience with distance/online learning (development experience highly desired).
Salary: $35-38,000 per year (based on experience)
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications. Send application packages by mail to: Astronomy Educator Screening Committee, Astronomical Society of the Pacific, 390 Ashton Ave., San Francisco, CA 94112; or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous | Contents | Next